Regular full-time and part-time faculty and staff are eligible for University-Paid Basic Term Life insurance and have the option to purchase Group Universal Life (GUL) insurance. Group Term Life insurance for a spouse/domestic partner/dependent children is also available.
Group Universal Life insurance
Group Universal Life insurance (GUL) pays a death benefit and, in addition, allows the owner to contribute additional premiums beyond the cost of the insurance to accumulate cash value that can be used during his or her lifetime for needs such as paying for college, buying a new home or building retirement funds.
View plan summary [PDF]
If you terminate, retire from the University of Rochester or become ineligible for the plan (i.e. Time-As-Reported-TAR), you may continue all of your GUL coverage until age 100 by paying premiums directly to Securian Financial.
How to enroll
Employees can enroll in Group Universal Life (GUL) insurance at any time, however, proof of good health may be required depending on when you enroll. For details about the different enrollment period requirements, see the group life insurance guide.
To enroll in GUL insurance:
- Log in to HRMS
- Click on “Securian Financial” on the HRMS homepage
- Answer the necessary questions
- You may elect 1-8 times your annual salary, up to a maximum of $1,500,000.
- Designate your beneficiaries
- Primary Beneficiary – The person or persons named will receive the benefit
- Contingent Beneficiary – If the primary beneficiary is no longer living, the benefit is paid to the contingent beneficiary