Office of Human Resources
Watch for the 2020 nomination period to open in December 2019.
Nominations Due: February 6, 2019
The University of Rochester Meliora Award recognizes a select number of staff members whose work performance and dedication during the preceding few years exemplify the University’s motto, Meliora (ever better). Awards may celebrate individual achievements or those of a team.
Areas of Achievement:
Nominees should have demonstrated their commitment to the ideals of Meliora during the preceding few years through:
- Excellence in overall job performance that includes at least one major improvement to an individual department, program, unit, or the University as a whole (for example, service enhancement, significant process improvement, cost reduction or avoidance, etc.).
- Initiative, innovation, entrepreneurship and creativity.
- Service to constituents that consistently exceeds expectations.
- Contributions to an environment characterized by collaboration, cooperation, tolerance and mutual respect.
Nominees must be full- or part-time active staff from any division of the University. Nominations may be submitted for individual staff members or teams of staff members. A team member may not nominate his or her own team. Faculty and students are not eligible for this award.
Individual Meliora Award recipients will receive a $1,000 cash prize and the University will waive the cost of their employee parking permits for one year. Team Meliora Award recipients will receive $3,000 to be used to support their teams work. Meliora Award recipients will receive a certificate and be honored by the University Board of Trustees. In addition, their names will be inscribed on recognition boards placed in prominent locations at the Medical Center and in Wallis Hall. They will also be featured in University publications and invited to attend a reception in their honor.
Nominations may be submitted or supported by current University of Rochester faculty, staff, students, teams, or groups with the exception of members of the Witmer and Meliora Awards Selection Committee.
Award recipients will be selected by the Witmer and Meliora Awards Selection Committee and announced in the spring.
Guidelines for Submitting Meliora Award Nominations:
For each individual or team nomination, please submit a nomination package containing the following items by February 6, 2019. Please be sure that ALL information is complete.
- A nomination form.
- A nominating statement of no more than three pages (12 point font or larger) explaining how the individual or team nominee satisfies the award criteria. Please be specific, providing concrete examples.
- Exactly three letters of support (each no more than one page in length and 12 point font or larger) from those who have been directly affected by this individual or team nominee’s innovation or service. For individual nominations, one letter of support must be from the nominee’s direct supervisor unless the supervisor is the nominator.
- Relevant supporting documentation may be included but is not required.
Completed nomination packets should be submitted to:
Witmer and Meliora Awards Selection Committee
c/o Associate Vice President for Human Resources / CHRO
E-mail: Meliora Award Nominations (on global)
Intramural Mail: Box 278949
- River Campus: 263 Wallis Hall (HR-AVP/CHRO Office)
- Medical Center: Room 1-6039 (Medical Center HR Office)
- Office of Total Rewards: 60 Corporate Woods, Suite 310
- Brooks Landing: 910 Genesee St, Suite 100 (HR Service Center)