Please consider downloading the latest version of Internet Explorer
to experience this site as intended.
Tools Search Main Menu

Office of Human Resources

Supervisor's Guide to Hiring Process

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


  1. What forms do I need to start the recruitment process?
    When hiring a staff member you would need a Staff New Hire Form, also referred to as a 600 form or PAF. When hiring a faculty member you would need a Faculty New Hire Form, also referred to as a 500 form. When hiring a graduate student or post doc you would use a Grad Student/Post Doc Hire Form, also referred to as a 520 form. These forms are found in HRMS. If you are hiring staff in division 500 or 900 an Exemption Form will also be needed. If you are hiring staff into a new position a functional job description and a task analysis form will also be needed.
  2. What forms do I need to make a change to an employee's position, pay or other status of employment?
    Changes for staff are processed on a Staff Change Form, also referred to as a 610 form. Faculty changes are processed on a Faculty Change Form, also referred to as a 510 form. Grad Students and Post Doc changes are processed on a Grad Student/Post Doc Change Form, also referred to as a 520 form. These forms are found in HRMS. (Please note if a staff person's job title is changing it requires a Staff New Hire Form (600 form) unless the job has been 'reclassified'.)
  3. How do I access the New Hire or Change forms?
    Access to these forms is given through HRMS. Each department has certain administrative staff that have access to these forms. If you believe you should have access please contact your HR Field Office Representative for assistance.
  4. What is an exemption form and where do I get one?
    An exemption form is what is used by the finance or director offices in division 500 and 900. It is used to justify why the position should be exempted from the hiring freeze.

Recruitment Processes

  1. How long does a position need to be posted before I can make an offer?
    A non-union position needs to be posted for 4 business days before an offer can be made (For union positions please see the bargaining unit agreement or contact the Labor Office for assistance).
  2. Can I get reference for other University or Strong Memorial Hospital employees?
    Yes, reference checking is an important part of the recruitment process. For internal candidates you may contact your HR Liaisons who will review with you the last two performance reviews and related memos in the personnel file. It is also suggested that you contact the current or former supervisor for details on prior performance.
  3. Is there training on interviewing for new supervisors?
    Yes, the Human Resource Development division offers leadership training related to interviewing and many other topics relevant to those in management roles.

Salary Information

  1. How do I determine pay for a new hire?
    When deciding on pay for the final candidate consultation with your HR Business Partner is necessary as they will be able to compare experience and education with incumbents to ensure an equitable salary is determined.
  2. What is a salary exception form and when do I need to use it?
    If the salary offered is above the control point then divisional or finance approval is required to go forward. This is accomplished by completing the salary exception form and having the appropriate finance or director sign off on the form.
  3. What is a 'Special Schedule'?
    There are certain positions whose salaries are very competitive in the local job market. In order to offer competitive wages for these positions 'special' wage ranges have been determined based on market analysis and are updated yearly. Your HR Liaison can provide more information regarding positions that have a 'special schedule'.
  4. I am hiring an exempt employee part time and I am told the salary is not enough to allow for exempt status, do I have to pay them hourly?
    Yes, State and Federal regulations establishes a minimum salary at which an employee can be paid on a salaried basis ($40,560) if the wage falls below this amount the employee must be paid hourly. The benefits are not impacted by this salary status.

Offer/Hire Process

  1. When can I make an offer to my final candidate?
    An offer can be made after the department consults with the HR Liaison regarding salary and a University application has been completed and reviewed by HR.
  2. What happens after the offer is made?
    The candidate should be instructed to contact the HR Liaison to confirm the salary, start date, to complete all required hire paperwork and to be scheduled for orientation, physical and drug screening?
  3. What is covered at orientation and does my employee have to go?
    All staff are required to attend new hire orientation. The orientation agenda covers information that the employee needs to know to be successful as well as information that is required by regulatory bodies such as OSHA, JCAHO, etc.


  1. I would like to hire my child for the summer to help in my office, can I do that?
    Employees relatives may work at the University however, policy 121 outlines under what circumstances working with relatives may be inappropriate.
  2. How do I hire a temp?
    Strong Staffing division places temps in clerical, service and even technical positions throughout the University.

Contact Kathy Miner (585.275.7045) with your comments, and questions about the Supervisor's Guide to Hiring Process.