Office of Human Resources
Welcome to the University of Rochester
Newly hired employees must complete Section 1 of the
I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form
- For the portion that asks for location, use 10001-All Staff
- For the portion that asks your hire date, use your first day of employment.
Be sure to click on the link that was provided in the email you received to complete the background check form.
To avoid delaying your anticipated start date, please complete the online form within 24 hours of receiving your email.
Employees who need a physical / drug screen will have been provided with their appointment date, time and location in the confirmation e-mail from their HR Liaison / Recruiter. Please refer back to that e-mail to determine which link to click on for your physical packet.
Employees who are not required to have a physical / drug screen (as indicated by "not applicable" in your e-mail from HR) may skip this section and proceed to the next section.
Physical packets by location:
Important information for your physical / drug screen appointment:
- Please bring with you a Photo ID. (Driver's License or Identification Card would work fine)
- Bring any medication that you may be currently taking.
- Please go to your appointment with a full bladder. Be careful to only drink up to 8 ounces within 1 hour leading up to your appointment.
- Part of your physical exam will be a PPD (Tuberculin Skin Test). Staff will schedule you for a return appointment to have your PPD skin test read. Please note, the skin test read must be completed within 48 hours.
Enclosed within the physical packet is:
- General information about your drug screen.
- Directions to the appointment location.
- Forms that must be completed prior to your appointment.
- Please bring a copy of your Immunization Records or have your Physician's Office complete the form provided in the packet. (You usually can obtain these records from a school that you have attended, or a primary care physician)
Please complete the I-9 form (above) before you visit the Employment Center
Come to the Employment Center no later than the Wednesday prior to your start date to complete your pre-employment paperwork. The office is open Monday-Friday from 8:00AM-5:00pm. No appointment is needed.
Our Employment Center is located at:
910 Genesee Street
Suite 100 (first floor)
Rochester, NY 14611
(Entrance in rear of building)
During your visit:
- Let the receptionist know you have been recently hired and are here for your paperwork.
The receptionist will ask you for some forms of identification to verify your I-9 Form.
Some commonly used forms of ID include, but are not limited to:
- Driver's License and Social Security Card (original unexpired documents)
- OR Drivers License and Birth Certificate (original unexpired documents)
- OR An unexpired US Passport (only form needed)
- A list of all acceptable I-9 identification documents is provided at the end of the I-9 form instructions.
- The receptionist will provide you with an official offer letter. There will be one copy for you to sign and return, and another copy for your records.
- If you are hired into a benefit eligible position, you will be provided with an information packet summarizing the benefits that are available. Review the information in the packet and the benefits section below on how and when to enroll.
New Hire Orientation is held:
Mondays from 8:00 - 11:00am
Staybridge Suites Hotel
1000 Genesee Street
Rochester, NY 14611
- You will be paid for attending orientation
- Please dress business casual, (no jeans or shorts)
Security will be onsite to take a photo for your ID badge.
Please bring photo ID so Security can confirm your identity.
(Driver's License or Identification Card will work fine)
- Note: If you were ever affiliated with the University as a former employee, contractor or student, please bring your old ID badge to orientation if you still have it in your possession.
- You may start reporting to the department after you take at least a 30 minute meal break on the day of orientation, or any day after. Please contact your department supervisor to coordinate as soon as possible.
The University of Rochester offers eligible faculty and staff a wide range of benefits that work together to provide a comprehensive Benefits Program. A benefit packet will be provided to regular full and part-time employees at the time the I-9 and other hire forms are completed at the Employment Center. Since eligibility for the plans varies, the Benefits Eligibility Key is designed to assist you in determining your own eligibility based on your status with the University. In addition to this packet, there are helpful links below to the plan materials and videos that are designed to assist you in understanding the University's Benefit Plans. Please take special note of the enrollment deadlines. It is very important that you make your elections in the timeframe listed to ensure proper enrollment and benefit eligibility. At New Hire Orientation, you will receive instructions to sign up for your NetId. This Netid will enable you to enroll in benefits through our HRMS system.
- Information for New Employees and Those That are Newly Benefit Eligible
- Important Enrollment Deadlines
- Benefits Enrollment Overview Video
- Enrollment Form - To be used by current employees transferring into a benefits eligible position
- ALEX - an interactive Benefits decision tool
- ANDY - an interactive Retirement Program tool
- Long Term Disability Plan at a Glance
- Long Term Disability Frequently Asked Questions
- Retirement Service Credit Form - Credit prior service towards the requirement to receive University contributions to the Retirement Program for those hired in eligible positions that have eligible service at another Higher Educational Institution, Teaching Hospital, Not-for-profit Research Foundation or Not-for-profit Support Organization of Higher Education Institutions, F. F. Thompson Health System Inc., or other Organizations in the Universities Control Group.
- Tuition Service Credit Form - At the University of Rochester, the service requirement for the tuition benefits plan may be met by service at another college, university or U of R affiliated teaching hospital, as well as service at a member of the controlled group of the University that offered a tuition benefit plan for which the faculty or staff member was eligible.
A parking permit is required when parking at the Medical Center, River Campus and most Offsite locations.
Employees who need a parking permit can purchase one through My Parking Online after you have set up your NETID and password.(You will be unable to purchase a yearly permit without setting up your NETID and password).
For Offsite locations please stop by the Parking office to purchase your permit.Check out more:
- For information on our online services, guidelines, maps, bus/shuttle schedules, and parking availability, visit our Parking Website, or download the UR Mobile APP
Find out about
UR Connections: the University’s campaign to promote the use of transportation alternatives that assist in reducing commuting costs, reducing campus congestion, and improving sustainability. Members of the Rochester community have the opportunity to get a ride, share a ride, or skip the ride to take advantage of University perks. Visit
Parking Management Center is located at: 70 Goler House on the corner of East Drive and Celebration Drive (near College Town)